Mom found this incredible prime rib roast rub by Martha Stewart online… It really added to the flavor and richness of this amazing cut of meat.
Note: Allow the rub to stay on the meat for at least 24 hours.
* 15 dried bay leaves, crumbled
* 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves, plus several whole leaves for garnish
* 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/3 cup finely grated orange zest (about 2-3 oranges)
* For roast – 1 three-rib prime rib of beef (about 7 lbs), trimmed
In a small bowl, stir together crumbled bay leaves, sage, olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp salt and the orange zest. Season with pepper. Rub the herb mixture all over the beef, coating evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 2 hours before you plan to cook the beef, remove it from the fridge. Place beef, fat side-up, in a roasting pan and allow it to come to room temperature.
For cooking your prime rib, please refer to Roxanne’s Prime Rib Roast 101.
Smile – you’ve got an AMAZING cut of beef you’re about to cook to rich deliciousness!